Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors
RDA Great Southern is committed to contributing to leadership development opportunities and improving the skills and capacity of Not-for-Profit committee members in the regional areas of the Great Southern. Supported by Lotterywest, RDA Great Southern provided the opportunity for regional committee members and those aspiring to become committee members on not-for-profit boards to submit an Expression of Interest to participate in the training. This initiative provided a $1,600.00 saving to particpants, who were all volunteers contributing to their community.
The 25 successful candidates were chosen through a selection committee process and the selection criteria ensured that a diverse range of Great Southern regional community members were chosen.
Participants gained an understanding of fundamental compliance and performance related roles and responsibilities of a not-for-profit board and committee, specifically in the areas of governance, risk, financial performance and strategy.
The course was delivered by the Australian Institute of Company Directors and was taught in an interactive manner by facilitator Mr Peter Fitzpatrick GAICD who has an extensive real world experience in the not-for-profit sector.
The one and a half day course included the following three modules:
Duties and Responsibilities of the Not-for-Profit Director
- Understanding of the role of the not-for-profit committee member in governing the organisation and how this differs to the for-profit sector.
- Understand the potential liability of directors and committee members.
- Appreciate the balance between the compliance and performance roles of the board.
Strategy and Risk for the Not-for-Profit Director
- Identify the link between strategy and risk management risk culture and effective leadership.
- Enhance organisational performance through effective contribution to strategy formulation.
- Understand personal risk appetite and how this affects board decisions.
Finance for the Not-for-Profit Director
- Learn to interpret the major elements of financial statements and the linkages between them to evaluate the financial performance of the organisation.
- Explore how to apply and interpret financial ratios applicable to not-for-profit organisations.