Building Better Regions Fund
About the Programme
The Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) will create jobs, drive economic growth and support strong regional communities across Australia by funding infrastructure and community investment projects.
The program will fund projects in regional Australia outside the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Canberra.
Nearly $500 million is available through this program, including $200 million provided from the Regional Growth Fund allocated in the 2017-18 Budget.
Round One of the BBRF has now closed and the successful applications for the Infrastructure Project Stream was announced on 4 August. The full list of successful Infrastructure Project Stream applications is available to download.
Successful projects, from the Community Investments stream of the fund, will be announced soon and it is expected that another round of BBRF will be opened before the end of the year.
There were two streams of funding available under Round One of the program which opened on 18 January 2017:
- Infrastructure Projects Stream supported projects which involved the construction of new infrastructure, or the upgrade or extension of existing infrastructure that provided economic and social benefits to regional and remote areas.
The minimum grant amount was $20,000 and the maximum grant amount was $10 million.
- Community Investment Stream funded community building activities including, but not limited to, new or expanded local events, strategic regional plans, and leadership and capability building activities. These projects will deliver economic and social benefits to regional and remote communities.
The minimum grant amount was $5,000 and a maximum grant amount was $10 million, however give the nature of eligible projects it was expected that most grants would be under $100,000.
The location of your project has bearing on different elements of the program. Consideration is given on the location of your project when determining:
- geographic eligibility
- the level of co-funding you need to provide
- a loading applied to your assessment score
Download the BBRF 'Am I Ready to Apply' applicant help document.
The BBRF replaced the previous Federal Infrastructure grants programme, the National Stronger Regions Fund, which brought $4,685,586 into the Great Southern region for six projects (2014-2016).
Developing Funding Proposals - A Guidance Manual for Practitioners
The WA RDA Network has engaged AEC Group Pty Ltd to develop a Guidance Manual to support the BBRF Round One. Download a copy HERE
You are encouraged to seek the support of your RDA Committee for your project. Your RDA Committee can:
- assist you to identify and develop a strong project proposal that will contribute to long term economic growth and is a priority within your region, and
- work with you to prepare a competitive application, supporting documents and evidence.
Our Executive Officer, Simon Lyas is available to contribute to discussions around potential projects. firstname.lastname@example.org